Born in 1972 in Japan.
Rinko Kawauchi’s work is characterized by a serene, poetic style, depicting the ordinary moments in life. She shoots mostly in 6×6 format.
Rinko Kawauchi became interested in photography while studying at Seian College of Art and Design. She first worked in advertising for several years before embarking on a career as a fine art photographer.
She was awarded an Honorary Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society in 2012.
A selection of her major exhibitions:
– “Aila & Utatane” at the Rencontres d’Arles, 2004.
– Fondation Cartier pour l’art contemporain, Paris (2005)
– The Photographer’s Gallery, London (2006)
– Museu de Arte Moderna de São Paulo, São Paulo (2007)
– Brighton Museum & Art Gallery, Brighton Photo Biennial, Brighton (2010)